Read Natalie Glebova's profile to discover more about her journey from Russia to Canada, from not winning Miss Universe Canada to picking herself back up to win Miss Universe a year later and then continue to become a successful author & self-love coach.
Natalie Glebova is an author, self-love coach and winner of Miss Universe in 2005. Born in Tuapse, a small coastal town in Russia on November 11, 1981, her family migrated to Canada when she was 13 years old. She arrived in her new country with no knowledge of the language, culture or customs and with just one wicker basket containing the family’s belongings.
During her childhood in Russia though, Natalie’s parents had encouraged her to competitively learn, train for and pursue sports and arts. As a rhythmic gymnast she competed at a local and regional level and as a pianist she played recitals and composed her own music, graduating from a Professional Music School in Russia at the age of 12.
Natalie initially found the move to Toronto difficult. Language barriers aside, she struggled initially to connect with her peers and entered into a period of intense self reflection which, as a teenager, is challenging. Focusing on building confidence and self esteem, Natalie entered Miss Universe Canada in 2004, only to be placed 3rd runner-up. Glebova competed again in January 2005, and won the title.
The following June, Natalie was in Bangkok competing for the title of Miss Universe 2005, the fourth Canadian in ten years to make the semi-finals. Following the evening gown and swimsuit competitions, Natalie was shortlisted among the top five contestants who now faced the final interview round. Ultimately, Natalie was crowned Miss Universe 2005 by outgoing titleholder Jennifer Hawkins of Australia. Glebova’s win was Canada’s second in the history of the pageant, succeeding Karen Dianne Baldwin of London, Ontario had won in 1982. Glebova and Baldwin graduated from the same high school, London Central Secondary School.
Prior to competing at Miss Universe, Glebova worked as a model and received her Bachelor of Commerce in Information Technology Management and Marketing at Ryerson University in Toronto. She has also worked as a motivational speaker for grade school and high school students.
Glebova was married to Thai tennis player Paradorn Srichaphan in 2007. In 2008, Glebova joined The Amazing Race Asia 3 and she partnered with Pailin Rungratanasunthorn. They represented Thailand and came in 8th place. In December 2012, it was announced that Glebova will compete in reality TV show “Dancing with the Stars Thailand”. The first episode was aired on Channel 7 (Thailand) on January 8, 2013. On April 9, 2016, Glebova gave birth to a daughter, Maya Kelly, with her fiancé Dean Kelly, who won Mister Panamá 2001.
Natalie Glebova has, over the decades, contributed to many charitable causes, not least AIDS / HIV. During her reign, Glebova traveled to Africa to attend an AIDS Educational Tour with the Global Health Council, Malaysia in late September, the Bahamas and St. Martin. In late March 2006, Glebova visited Russia for the first time since leaving the country in her pre-teens. She participated in an HIV-AIDS Awareness campaign in Moscow and attended a Russian fashion show as a special guest. She also made numerous trips to Thailand, where she commemorated the anniversary of the tsunami and Canada, her home nation.
- May 2006 – Glebova, along with golfer Vijay Singh and pro tennis player Paradorn Srichaphan, became brand ambassadors for Thailand-based beer brewers Singha Corp. owners of Boon Rawd Brewery. Glebova completed her 1-year contract with Singha in July 2007.
- December 2006 – Glebova starred in an expensive two-minute television advertisement for The Beverly Hills, one of the most prestigious and expensive housing developments in Asia. The television commercial created an air of French romanticism for the private gated community developed by leading Hong Kong property developer, Henderson Land Development, for which Glebova received the “Best Actress” award during “The 13th Annual Most Popular TV Commercial Awards” ceremony in Hong Kong on May 5, 2007.
- February 2007 – Glebova published her first book Healthy Happy Beautiful. It became a major best seller.
- February 2007 – Glebova became a brand ambassador for Better Vision (the eyewear company in Thailand).
- May 2007 – Glebova was appointed as Brand Beauty Ambassador for ICC International, the producer of BSC cosmetics.
- November 2008 – Glebova started a new charity organization called Party 4 Charity. Glebova also serves as an ambassador for Soi Dog Foundation, a non-profit organization aiding homeless street animals in Thailand.
- November 2011 – Glebova became a brand ambassador for “Caring Hare Expert”.
- February 2012 – Glebova became the Diamond Ambassador for Canadian Ice Diamond Collection.
- May 2012 – Glebova and a French company Bel Perfumes based in Thailand released Natalie’s perfume Beauty Icon.
- June 2015 – Glebova became an Ambassador for Year of the Gibbon for the IUCN SSC Primate Specialist Group – Section on Small Apes, to raise awareness for gibbon conservation. Glebova has a passion for wildlife conservation and recently launched a public awareness campaign about the impact of photo-prop tourism on gibbons Year of the Gibbon.
Create Your Best Life
Join Our Mailing List. See What's Next.